Bang Sue was one of eight outer Bangkok amphoes (districts) established during King Chulalongkorn‘s reign. In an administrative reform in 1938, Bang Sue was reduced from an amphoe to a tambon (sub-district), becoming part of amphoe Dusit. In 1972, as part of the creation of a special administrative area of Bangkok where tambons in Bangkok were renamed khwaengs and amphoes in Bangkok were renamed khets, Bang Sue became Khwaeng Bang Sue under Khet Dusit. Bang Sue became a khet in 1989.
Its name meaning “Community of Faithfully”. It appears in the Sunthorn Phu‘s poem “Journey to Phrabat“ since 1807.
Rama VI Bridge was the first bridge to cross the Chao Phraya River. It was opened on 1 January 1923 and was named after King Vajiravudh (Rama VI). The 442 metre long and 10 metre wide road-rail bridge originally carried a single-track railway to the west and south of Thailand and a one-lane road. During World War II the bridge was heavily damaged by Allied bombing, since it was being used by the occupying Japanese. The reconstructed bridge was re-opened on 12 December 1953. In 1992, road traffic was permanently diverted to the new Rama VII bridge slightly upstream as the State Railway of Thailand converted the roadway to a second railway track.
In 2019 the district will be the site of a new central station for Bangkok, Bang Sue Central Station, along with a new business district. Three separate subway lines are being planned or constructed which will connect Bang Sue to other districts in Bangkok.